In this post I will be sharing my tips about Salesforce Platform App builder certification and study links for this exam topics from its study guide. As I mentioned in other post don’t rely on any shortcuts or any other study material as Salesforce itself got plenty and scenario based questions requires your understanding of topic. After I appeared for Admin exam I took this exam with minimal preparation as there are lot of common topics between them.
Here is details on what topics are similar between Salesforce admin and Salesforce platform App builder.
- Different types of Object relationships (Salesforce platform App builder has dedicated topic on external object which admin exam doesn’t have).
- Scenario based questions on Business process automation either using Workflow, process builder, visual flow or Approval process.
- Formula fields and roll up summary fields
- Salesforce platform’s declarative capability of performing record and object security using profiles, roles, sharing rules, organization wide defaults or permission sets (Admin exam has higher percentage for this section).
- Data management (Admin exam covers some few more items including backup and data validation tool)
- Creating and managing reports and dashboards ( Platform App builder gives 5% on topics where Admin exam gives 13% on topic).
- Salesforce1 related scenario and solution. (App builder covers this in more details where Admin exam covers just basic of it.)
- Record types and its usage.
Topics listed above covers about 50% in both exams. If you haven’t appeared for admin exam then after Salesforce platform app builder exam you only need to prepare for 50% of topics. Though you will need to maintain your admin certification with 3 exams per year with fee of US $100.
Here is look at topics and what to study for it in order of highest to lowest percentage sections from study guide for Salesforce platform app builder:
Business Logic and Process Automation (27%)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for record types. (I faced at least 4 questions on this topic. It was twisted in different way but always remember there are only 2 objectives for record type. first when you need to display different picklist values for different pages/profiles and second when you want to have different page layouts for different profiles. Read the question carefully because 2 of the question i faced they had 2 answers looking almost similar but remember whenever object has record types then page layouts are assigned to record types for different profiles.)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for formula fields. (formulas are plays very important part so understand how you can reference parent object’s field using formula or use formula functions to display images or if/else conditional logic for displaying values.Understand various types of formulas that can be created.)
- Describe the capabilities of, use cases for, and implications of roll-up summary fields. (Remember roll up summary works only with master-detail relation.I received one of question whether assignment rules runs or not when related detail object field being used in roll up summary field is updated. This was again question in relation to topic on recursion in this section)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for validation rules. (Read question carefully and understand whether validation rule will execute in given scenario or not. For example when workflow rule updates certain field value being monitored by validation rule will cause validation rule to execute or not? For this kind of questions you should clearly understand execution sequence of salesforce components during transaction. )
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for approval processes.
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for workflow, visual workflow, and the Lightning Process Builder.( There was one question on selecting appropriate business automation solution. The scenario was based on requirement to apply certain logic and then perform automated submission for approval. In this kind of situation either its visual flow/process Builder/Apex trigger. Read through table on this topic link)
- Given a set of business requirements, recommend a solution to automate business processes. (Remember workflow can only update parent and process builder can update any related objects where visual flow can update any related or non related object. Between workflow and process builder select process builder as first option if there is no requirement of outbound messages as process builder supersedes workflow.)
- Describe the ramifications of field updates and the potential for recursion. (Make sure you focus on this topic and remember what executes and what doesn’t because questions related to this topic are mostly in relation to other topic like my above example with roll up and validation rules.)
Data Modeling and Management (20%)
- Given a scenario, determine the appropriate data model
- Describe the capabilities of the various relationship types and the implications of each on record access, user interface, and reporting. (I received scenario based question where scenario required ability to view associated children records on parent but child object should have an ability to define its own sharing settings. You should also go through Trailhead topics)
- Identify the considerations when changing a field’s type. (I received question on what happens when you change field type to look up from master details for one of object on junction object.)
- Given a set of requirements, identify the considerations and select the appropriate field type. (The question i received provided scenario for rollup summary field and options were to select appropriate field types to be used from currency, percent, date, time etc. Second question was about using external id field and how it can be made unique.)
- Describe the capabilities and considerations of the schema builder. (a question i received was based on schema builder interface so you should go through list like object relationships, fields, creating/updating fields, viewing page layouts etc with schema builder)
- Describe the options and considerations when importing and exporting data. (One of the question was how to prevent duplicate when importing data using built in data import wizard.)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for external objects. (There were at least 2 Scenario based question for external object based on whether to apply external relationship or indirect look up relationship.)
User Interface (14%)
- Describe the user interface customization options. (a question i received required different home page layout for different profiles and how it can be enabled. Another question listed option to select what can be added on home page layout. Try this practically by browsing through various options to customization in your developer org. Remember home pages doesn’t use record types.)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for custom buttons, links, and actions. (a question i received required to select multiple options( related list, list view, page layout etc.) to display button in various places, ways to override button, What can be configured while creating/editing actions etc. Like actions can have page layout and predefined values so browse through creating object specific and global actions and how they can be added to page layout. Read through this link and its subtopics)
- Describe the declarative options available for incorporating Lightning Components in an application.
- Given a scenario, determine the appropriate user interface design.(Scenario based question focused on various sections of page layout, creating compact layout, and where vf page can be added on page layout, What kind of chart can be displayed on page layout and how it can be filtered)
- Describe the features and capabilities available to restrict and extend object, record, and field access.(one of question related to this section i received asked how to extend permission for one of object’s field for only one support user out of group of users for operation support profile. Second question was focused on removing field’s access for a profile on page. The options were given whether to remove field from page layout, add permission set or remove permission with field level security. Remember with profiles only you can enable/disable object/field/tabs permission and permission set can provide additional permissions. Roles, sharing rules and manual sharing overrides the organization wide default.)
- Given a set of business requirements, determine the appropriate sharing solution. (Question i received was what can be used to extend permission of an object which has default org wide default to ‘Private’ and ‘grant access using role hierarchies’ is enabled)
App Deployment (8%)
- Describe the key milestones and considerations when managing the application lifecycle.
- Describe the differences between and considerations when using the various types of sandboxes.(Very important table on this link which makes comparison where you can perform development, testing etc. I received question on which sandbox you can use for application performance and testing?)
- Describe the capabilities of and considerations when using change sets.(a question asked what happens when new object is promoted with profile from sandbox to prod with change set but respective tab is not included. In this case whether tab will be visible, hidden or turned off for all users? Read through resources link under trailhead topic as well if you haven’t use change set before.)
- Describe the use cases of and considerations when using unmanaged packages. (Read through first point in table about unmanaged package.multiple choice question asked from where unmanaged package can be promoted? options were from developer org to prod, sandbox to sandbox or sandbox to prod. second question list out when can unmanaged packaged be used.)
- Given a scenario, determine the appropriate deployment plan.
Salesforce Fundamentals (8%)
- Describe the capabilities of the core CRM objects in the Salesforce schema. (core object like Account, contact, opportunity, lead, Campaign, Campaign influence and case. Understand how do you create sales and case process. Another question asked what you must add when you add new opportunity stage?)
- Given a scenario, identify the boundaries of declarative customization and the use cases for programmatic customization.(After reading through various customization option am sure you can figure out what cant be declarative customization)
- Identify common scenarios for extending an org using the AppExchange.
- Determine the features and capabilities available when creating reports, report types, and dashboards.(The questions focused more on various chart types and how can you filter on charts which has been added to page layout?, Another multiple choice question asked ‘Bar chart can be displayed for which report types?’)
- Describe the declarative customization options available for the Salesforce1 mobile application user interface. (You should actually browse through salesforce1 app and try all options possible to customize salesforce1 with declarative options.Questions like how do you enable visual force page for Salesforce1. what are Options for compact layout?)
- Given a set of requirements, determine the appropriate global and object-specific actions and action layouts to optimize the Salesforce1 user experience.(A question on how do you enable object specific action on saleforce1?)
- Describe the capabilities of and use cases for social features.(Also try how you can view account or contact’s social media updates from Salesforce. a question asked what you need to enable for enabling feed for record when specific field is updated?)
Platform App builder exam focuses more on your ability to build custom applications on Salesforce platform with declarative capabilities. The best approach i found to study this exam is to go through your developer org’s various screens to create application, objects, fields, tabs, buttons/actions/links etc. Not everyone has worked on every part of Salesforce platform and some of questions requires for you to have knowledge of actual screens. For example one of question on App builder it listed various options to identify 3 sections of app builder while building page using it.
I hope this will help you to get through salesforce platform app builder certification and let me know your feedback/comments about it.